This week’s activity was to plaster cast, so I invited a friend to come with me to the beach. Prior to our trip I bought plaster mix from Home Depot (with me not being entirely sure it was the right one to use) and borrowed a bucket from a friend.
Upon getting to the beach, we laid down our stuff and got to work digging holes. No matter how much we dug, the hole did not seem to get bigger, but finally it was deep enough to make a mold. We made three molds, just in case one got messed up: a peace sign and a fist from my hand, and one of my friends foot.
We made the molds and carefully extracted our appendages, we mixed half the plaster and water from the ocean together. I probably should have used all the plaster because I now realize that I have no use for it whatsoever, but hindsight is 20/20. After we mixed the plaster and water I carefully poured it into the molds. A few minutes later the plaster had sunk, so that the tops were hollow and the sides were very thin.
After waiting 30 minutes, we carefully excavated the plaster from the sand and brushed as much sand as we could off. The peace sign (or deformed bunny) was the one that looked the best, even though it didn’t come out as good as I thought it would. The fist looked kinda like a big blob but also kinda looked like a fist if you knew what it was. The mold of the foot looked the funniest because we ran out of plaster mixture as it was the last one we filled.
Overall I think that this was a pretty fun project and it was cool because I had never done something like this before.